To make our communities more liveable, Progressive States is committed to creating Clean Jobs and Smart Growth policies, including:
- Expanded Bus And Rail Transit with higher density housing and commercial development near transit hubs.
- Reclaiming "Brownfields" ï¿½ lots and neighborhoods abandoned due to pollution -- as an attractive option for new commercial and residential development.
- Greenbelts and incentives for landowners to protect their property for recreational use to Preserve Open Spaces and even expand their use by our communities.
- Construction of Green Buildings that use better design and energy-efficient appliances to reduce energy use.
- Tax credits, tighter environmental regulations and modernizing the electrical infrastructure can all help promote new Energy Alternatives, such as low-emission vehicles, solar panels, wind farms, use of biomass fuels and cleaner-burning technologies for traditional energy sources.
We need a better, more Comprehensive Public Health system that can identify and cure health threats before they spread. This includes better preventive health care and investments in research to assure that no biological threat can ever reach epidemic levels.
PLAN is dedicated to improving a Criminal Justice System that imprisons a higher percentage of the population than any other industrialized country-- with too many of them innocent of the crime for which they were convicted -- yet fails to stem one of developed world's highest rates of violent crime and corporate criminal behavior:
- We need a more Effective Criminal Justice System that includes the community in policing efforts, creates alternative courts and punishment for drug users and those suffering mental illness, and eliminates racial bias in the courts.
- Rehabilitation and Reentry programs should be better designed to prevent released prisoners from relapsing into crime.
- We need to recognize and Punish the White Collar Criminal Class that is one of the greatest threats to the financial future of families through their corporate fraud and malfeasance.
- And we need to be more proactive in Addressing the Causes of Crime, including preventing the child abuse that too often leads to new cycles of violence in the next generation, providing early drug treatment for addicts to stop users from becoming real criminals, and decreasing the unemployment and economic desperation that, while no excuse for crime, clearly leads to increases in criminal activity.