Progressive States Network hosted a national conference call on Friday, March 12th at 1:00 pm EST announcing the release of a new joint report, Networking the Green Economy: How Broadband & Related Technologies Can Build a Green Economic Future.
Written together with the Communications Workers of America, Sierra Club and the Blue Green Alliance, Networking the Green Economy highlights how new communication technologies are a critical part of making our energy-hungry economy more sustainable and energy-efficient. The report and the alliance between technology, environmental and labor groups to create it, demonstrate that building a green economy goes hand-in-hand with investing in broadband and overcoming the growing digital divide in our society.
To download a copy of the report or the executive summary, please visit www.progressivestates.org/greeneconomy .
On Friday's call, speakers from each organization discussed how smart buildings, smart grids, digital education, and other components of a highly-networked economy can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, conserve energy resources, and promote good green jobs.
- North Carolina state Senator Joe Sam Queen 
- Allison Chin , President, Sierra Club 
- Debbie Goldman, Telecommunications Policy Director and Research Economist, Communications Workers of America 
- David Foster , Executive Director, Blue Green Alliance 
- Nathan Newman , Executive Director, Progressive States Network